Judge Edwin E. Day served on the bench in Fairhaven to enforce the town’s own kind of justice for several eventful years. A high energy man, Judge Day blew into Fairhaven in 1890. Already used to the skulduggery of boom towns, he had been defense counsel in a famous trial concerning the theft of a shipment of Deadwood, South Dakota gold bullion worth millions of dollars in today’s prices. His star in Fairhaven was the extent of his businesses which he directed from the petite Day Building. In the city directory, Judge Day listed his work as lawyer, secretary/treasurer of Britton Gold Mining Company, manager of Day Clay Company, and president of Whatcom-Skagit Interurban Railway Company. His Alger Brickyard provided bricks for the new Schering Building (1903) on 10th and Harris. Day’s court was sometimes the stage for humorous cases which were popular reads in the local press. Pluto’s and Lockspot Taverns occupied the building in the 1970s. Dirty Dan Harris Steakhouse is located there now.