When the Bellingham Bay Hotel and neighboring Jenkins Boys Building were constructed in 1901 and 1903 respectively, they replaced several wooden buildings that housed various businesses from bath parlor to wall paper store to — of course — another saloon for Fairhaven, The Oak Leaf Saloon. After Pacific American Fisheries, located at the foot of Harris Avenue (1898), it became apparent that more sleeping accommodations were needed. By 1907, 65% of all work in Bellingham was to be found in Fairhaven (then known as South Bellingham) after the townships around the Bay voted to consolidate under the name Bellingham. The lower portions of the Bellingham Bay Hotel held a restaurant, a saloon, and a cigar maker. The second floor was the Bellingham Bay Hotel, Mrs. J. Ruttenbur, proprietor. It has been rumored that a bordello once occupied the upper floors. Today there are upstairs offices and the two store fronts are Bay to Baker Trading Company and Brenthaven.
Bay to Baker Trading Company is the Visitor Information Center for Fairhaven. Stop in for brochures, restaurant menus, and very friendly and knowledgeable information.